June 1, 2011

Picture Wall... Check!

After seeing this picture from a blog I read just about everyday, I was really inspired to do this in our house. I just needed to figure out a space. I decided that going up the stairs would be a good place.  So off I started!

Photo from http://www.younghouselove.com/
Here is a step-by-step of how I made my picture wall.

Step 1 - Buy really cheap frames.
   I looked at Goodwill, Salvation Army, and around my house for frames that would work. I knew that I was going to spray paint them, so it really didn't matter what color it was, just that it was in good shape. I think the total cost of frames was about $13. Here is a picture of the ones I bought.


Step 2 - Clean and Spray paint all the frames white
   It took a couple of coats of spray paint. I actually ended up painting some with extra primer I had in the garage to touch up what the spray paint didn't cover.

Before...










After one coat

Step 3 - Decide the layout
   After letting the paint dry overnight, I made templates out of each of the frames and by using painters tape I taped them up to the wall in the layout I wanted to use. (For some reason i forgot to take a picture of this step ) but you can use your imagination as to what it would look like. After asking opinions from Shane and my sister, I had the final layout planned.

Step 4 - Choose art, and hang the frames
   I haven't quiet picked out all the art or pictures that I want to use so some of my frames are still blank. I have also used some left over scrapbook paper for some not-so-picture art.
   To hang the frames I either used Command hanging strips or used nails. With the templates on the wall it was really easy to measure where to put the nails. I was able to just nail right through the newspaper and pull it off to see a clean nail. EASY!!

This can give you a slight idea of what the templates looked like!

Step 5 - Step back and Enjoy!
   After putting nails in the wall and putting hang strips on the frames, it only took about 10 minutes to finish the project.
   Here are some after shots!!!




I'm happy with the way it turned out, and one more thing to cross off my wish list!!! In the future I would like to add some professional matting to some of the photos, but for now this will work!

Total Cost -- $23 -- not too shabby for 14 frames!
- Frames -- $13
- Paint -- $4
- Hanging Strips -- $6

No comments:

Post a Comment