June 14, 2011

The Goldilocks of Mattress Shopping

   Last weekend was nothing but fun! Between weddings and birthday dinners, Shane and I picked out what I’ve been waiting on for a LONG time! A king size mattress!!! What should have been an easy task to find a cheap one that is comfortable, actually ended up being a 3 hour long mattress test drive.
   It started off with me driving around town earlier in the week “checking out prices” I went to a couple of furniture stores and mattress places, till my friend told me about Sleep Outfitters.
 They were having a great sale… Buy a King for the price of a Queen! Perfect! We all know how I love a good sale, so I went right over drove across town to the showroom. I found out later there was one 5 minutes from our house… whoops. Once I looked around a little bit, laid on a couple of beds, and decided that there were a couple that were reasonably priced so I would bring back Shane on Saturday so he could decide on the one he liked.
   When Saturday rolled around we hopped in the car and headed over to the showroom. Of course he had all kinds of questions, “Did you look online at the reviews?” “Did you see all the mattresses in town to know this is the one?” “What is the model number so we can price match?”  -- You get the point.
   When we got inside, we started looking around. I showed him the beds I was thinking about and he tried them out. He laid down on the first one and I’m pretty sure he was silent for five a few minutes when I finally asked him if he liked it. All he said was it was too soft. There started the two hour decision process of him and me trying out ALL the beds in the store (about 20-25). He would lay down stare at the ceiling and twirl his thumbs, then get up and move to the next one. He did this not once, not twice, but probably three times to each of the beds. I felt so sorry for the salesman. He would suggest one, then another, then finally just sat down on one of the beds and watched. I’m pretty sure he was just ready to make the sale because at one point he asked Shane, “Is there any bed in the store you would consider buying?” He said all of the beds were too soft, I said the ones he liked were too hard…  It was like he was Goldilocks. I was beginning to wonder if we would ever find one that was "just right." 
   Finally, after going through one row at a time, we had our choices narrowed down to three. One bed was the one I had first suggested as part of the sales promotion (a Serta), one was a Sterns and Foster, and the other was a Simmons Beautyrest.

   
The bed that ended up being “just right” was the Simmons! (it took another 30 minutes deciding between the three haha) It wasn't one that was on sale, but after being in there for so long, i was just glad we found something. It ended up being a little over $1,500 which was a little more than I hoped to pay, but I guess it's worth it since I'll be spending about 7 hours a night on it for a good 15 years? hopefully? For my half, it comes out to only $0.15 per day - pocket change for a good night's sleep!
   We finished the paperwork and purchasing, and now are just in the waiting game till Thursday when our new mattress, box spring, and bed frame (thrown in for free!) will be delivered! I can’t wait till I don’t have to sleep on the edge of the bed while my children dogs sleep like kings! Now we just have to look for a headboard and linens… YAY more shopping!!

1 comment:

  1. It has only been in recent years that the consumer market for visco-elastic foam mattresses has increased with customers taking note of the benefits that these mattresses have over standard spring based structures. Volvo truck mattress

    ReplyDelete